Saturday, October 06, 2007

fun times...

I woke up at the break of dawn today to go landscape painting over in Myakka state park. I saw my first alligator in the wild and got swarmed by lovebugs. I am looking forward to when it cools down a bit here to make landscape painting a bit more bearable, my northern blood boils above 78 degrees.

In other cool news, James Gurney of Dinotopia fame is coming to do a lecture/demo soon. He has an awesome blog here - http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/ Dinotopia was one of those books that affected every kid who saw it, just incredible stuff and should be a great lecture.


Here is another sketch from storyboard class, this poor kid's name is Gussett, he lives in a world with no vegetation. The planet became a desert before he was born and only rumours exist of flowers and plants. He wanders the land and collects scrap metal for his town, where his father is the King. Metal and cement are all that is left of the old world and metal is used to create the contraptions that enable people to be functional at all, for it seems that people of this world are occasionally born without the limbs necessary for basic survival.

As a personal project this semester I am going to try to paint all the panels from the section of the story that I storyboarded. I swear there is a happy ending to all this...



This is Gussett's father King Cotterton...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weather! Sept. 13th we used the furnace because it was so cold. We wore winter jackets.
Oct. 7th record warmth! 87 degrees - back to shorts and bare feet. Go figure! sd

Trish Tatman said...

You would think that as the son of the king, Gussett would have a more important job than scrap collector... unless besides being limbless, he is witless as well?

Anonymous said...

What a difference a day makes.... (Oct. 9) 4" of snow by the hunting shack and 30 degree temps here. With high winds trees are leafless. Furnace is on again....I think I'll come to Florida. (I wish). sd

szitta said...

If you ever make prints of this....I will be more than willing to be the first to buy it. This is awesome.

Francis Vallejo said...

Sick work man...I haven't seen all of these. BTW check out John Nevarez's blog...yer linked!!

Cateris said...

I love the little prince. But I think he needs a tiny little crown too.